Cornerstone of Chicago Hebrew Institute

Unknown Maker

The Chicago Hebrew Institute was founded in 1903 but remained a “paper institute” for several years. After leading members of the Jewish community provided financial support, the CHI began to offer programs in 1907. Its first home was a rental building on Blue Island Avenue and 12th Street (Roosevelt Avenue). Before long, the space proved inadequate and in 1908 a six-acre property was acquired from a convent with the help of Julius Rosenwald. In 1922, CHI was renamed the Jewish People’s Institute (JPI) and in 1926 it followed the Jewish population to North Lawndale. The JPI evolved into the Jewish Community Centers (JCCs), which continue to be a vital part of Jewish community life.

Name: Cornerstone of Chicago Hebrew Institute
Artist: Unknown Maker
Location:
Origin: USA: Chicago, 1903
Medium: Limestone
Dimensions: 11 ½ x 16 x 3 1/8 inches
Credit: Spertus Collection
Catalog Number: Unfiled